ERP packages contain several modules, such as finance, sales and distribution, materials management, manufacturing and production control, human resources, plant maintenance and quality management. Main characteristics of ERP system is that all its modules function in an integrated manner. Due to integrated nature of functioning, a few master tables are referenced frequently all across the system and databases, and shared by different applications, functional areas and sites. Data incorporated thereon need to be accurate, complete, timely and consistent. The quality of data as inputted in master tables, is a major reason for success or otherwise of an ERP system.
- Collection and maintaining of master data
- Clear cut process and procedure for maintenance of master data.
- Ownership of data is properly defined.
- In built workflow and authorization for adding and modifying data.
- Documentation of the process.
- Audit trails of master tables are activated and modifications are logged in the system.
- Proper excel templates or data mapping with legacy system, for initial collection of data